Thursday, January 26, 2012

Valentine Window Hearts

I was going to make these yesterday, but we were out of wax paper. Today my two month old got her first round of vaccines, so we're having a day at home and this craft was perfect for that!

What You Need:

Wax paper
Crayon shavings in preferred colours
An iron
Scissors
Ribbon or string

How To Make It:

Using a knife, scissors, or pencil sharpener, shave some crayons until you have a decent little pile. This is how much I made. I know it doesn't look like a lot but a little goes a long way.


Then, place a towel down on a hard surface, plug in your iron (to medium-high or high heat) and then tear off a long strip of wax paper.

Sprinkle a thin layer of crayon shavings onto this sheet of paper. You really only need a thin layer because too many will run together into a brown-ish blob.


Cover with another towel and then go over this several times with your iron. Make sure you turn back the towel to check on the melting progress.


I usually remove the towel and go over this once or twice just on the paper. This can leave a colourful residue on the iron, so be careful. Definitely don't do this craft on your table without a towel underneath...I made that mistake once and it left a lovely red stain on my coffee table.


Then, use a pencil, pen, or (in my case) a crochet hook to draw some hearts onto your sheets. I use the crochet hook because it only leaves an imprint on the paper, not an actual ink mark.


Once you have all your hearts cut out punch a hole in the tops and bottoms of each one and then string onto your ribbon or string.




Then, simply hang them from your desired location!

No comments:

Post a Comment