Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I am in LOVE: Caramel Apple Cheesecake

Fall is officially on my mind these days and Mother Nature must be in a similar frame of mind because today was cool with a distinct crispness in the air that always seems to accompany autumn. It was also rainy for  a good portion of the day, so it seemed like the perfect time to try out a new recipe. Caramel apple cheesecake seemed like the perfect way to bring fall into the house and make my belly happy.

So, I turned to this recipe: http://www.closetcooking.com/2011/12/caramel-apple-cheesecake-bars.html

Seriously, you can gain 10lbs just from looking at the pictures.

The recipe seemed pretty involved and I was sure I was going to be slaving over this for hours. Not so! It actually came together pretty quickly and simply. I used margarine instead of butter, quick oats instead of old fashioned, and didn't at all follow the recipe for the caramel sauce...but it was still amazing. Like, eyes rolling back in your head amazing. I had to fight the urge to squirrel this away from the family and eat it all...with my hands.

I was a little unclear on whether or not I had to let this set overnight, but I figured that since it's baked I need not worry about that and instead let it cool in the fridge and then poured the hot caramel on it. In the words of my toddler, it was "dee-wicious". I am actually in love with this dessert. The bottom is like a shortbread cookie, the middle is delicious cheesecake, and the top is like an apple crisp. That is pretty much three desserts in one bar. What is not to love?! It may seem like it makes a fairly small quantity but these are so rich that you won't want to eat a huge piece. I think I have about 8 or 9 left in the pan and we ate two generous servings after dinner.

Seriously, go make this. Like, now.


No comments:

Post a Comment