Sunday, February 26, 2012

Corn Soup

I stumbled across The Pioneer Woman blog a year or so ago and fell in love with a lot of the recipes posted on there. Some of our favourite dinners have come from that site and this soup is no exception.

The only problem with the recipes I find on The Pioneer Woman is that they tend to be heavy on butter, fatty creams, and lots of meats....all things we try to stay away from.

When I saw this recipe for Corn and Cheese Chowder I knew I had to give it a try. Soup is one of the greatest loves of my life. I made a few changes to the original recipe and think it turned out wonderfully. In fact, my husband asked me to make it for dinner again this week.

Cheesy Corn Soup My Way

What You Need:

4 cups chicken stock (I use homemade)
1.5 red bell peppers, chopped
1/2 a small bag of frozen corn kernels
2tbsp butter or margarine
1.5 cups grated cheese (I used marble)
2-2.5 cups milk (I used skim)
1-2 small onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, grated

How to Make it:

In a large pot, melt your margarine and then add your onions, garlic, and peppers. Cook until the onions begin to turn translucent and soft. Add in your chicken stock and bring to a low boil, then add in your frozen corn. Salt and pepper to taste, then, cook for five minutes before adding in your milk and cheese. Cook until the cheese has fully melted.

And that's it! It is so easy and so delicious!


The original recipe calls for being thickened with flour but I didn't have any in the house so we skipped that part. But, I think I preferred it thinner. The original recipe also called for green onions, which I had but forgot to use. Oops.

This week, my husband has asked me to add bacon to it, so we'll be testing that out, too (that was also in the original recipe).

No comments:

Post a Comment